Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Hips Are Made of Fire

I've been playing this iPhone game with my friends called "Draw Something." It's basically the Pictionary version of Words With Friends, only much more hilarious because neither I, nor any of my friends, are particularly good artists (especially with our big fat fingers on our tiny iPhone screens). So we've had a lot of good laughs at the expense of our lack of drawing expertise. 

So, in honor of my newly developing Skills of an Artist, I have drawn you this picture of myself and how my hips are feeling today. 

My hips are made of fire.

They are literally hot to the touch and man do they hurt. Tylenol, the approved pregnancy pain killer, isn't doing jack to help. And I just can't seem to find a comfortable position to put them in. Standing or walking around seems to exhaust me and make my hips ache more. Sitting (like I'm doing right now at my desk) is the worst (hence, I won't be doing it for much longer.) The best option seems to be laying down with an ice pack on each hip, but that, of course, is not particularly conducive to getting anything at all done. 

It seems like it would feel good to lay on my belly and push up, bending the hips back in the opposite direction - like that yoga pose - but the baby in my belly most certainly gets in the way of that option. And other efforts to stretch my hips on my own have only resulted in uncomfortable pulling on my belly. I'm going to force myself out the door to pilates this afternoon with the hope that my instructor can help me stretch my hips without aggravating my belly and find me at least a little bit of relief (but my regular instructor, who I've worked with for almost two years now, is out of town - so I'll be working with a new person this week and I'm not holding my breath about the results.)

In the meantime, I guess I'll have to count laying on the couch and watching crappy TV while growing a human as a productive activity - cause I'm not sure my hips are up for much else today. And, while I do that, I'm going to try not to be too hard on myself about how unproductive I feel. Ru Paul's Drag Race here I come! And, as Ru Paul says: If you can't love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love somebody else? Amen, Ru Paul. Amen.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

While my hip pain can't compare to yours because I'm able to take opiates, but earlier today, my hip was hot to the touch. I'm able to go get a cortisone shot though.

I feel your pain - until I take some drugs anyway. :)

Hope you feel better soon.

~Mariah~ said...

MELISSA: Please be grateful for those wonderful drugs!! Seriously! ~:o)