Tuesday, September 13, 2011

JA Workgroup

After spending a week as a counselor at JA Camp and volunteering at JA Family Day, last night I drove down to Denver and officially joined the JA Workgroup, which is the Arthritis Foundation Committee that plans all the JA events for this region. The committee is made up of parents and doctors and a few adults who have arthritis themselves.

I have to admit that since the Arthritis Foundation headquarters are south of Denver and I live in Boulder (north of Denver) and I had to drive past the Broncos stadium on a game night and I have been feeling so exhausted lately, it wasn't a particularly nice drive to get down there for the meeting. However, I'm still really glad that I went. Since I spent JA Family Day hanging out with the kids, it was really interesting to hear about the event from the perspective of the parents. We also worked on planning the Halloween event - Arthritis Isn't Scary - and I'm really excited to be a part of it!

It's really nice to be a part of something so positive and to have the opportunity to work with a group of people who understand what life is like with arthritis. Also, to be honest, I still have a hard time imagining how these amazing kids manage to deal with arthritis at age 3 - when I could hardly handle it at age 25 - so if there's anything I can do to make the lives of these kids (and their parents!) any easier then I want to be involved!

No comments: