Monday, January 25, 2010

Pop Goes the Knee(sel)

I've been meaning to sit down and blog for several days now, but somehow our days seem to be filled to the brim since we got back from Australia, with both happy and sad things.

The happy: the outpouring of well-wishers over our engagement! Facebook messages and emails and phone calls from people we hardly ever get to talk to!! Considering we've been together for seven years I had no idea people would be so excited that we got engaged. So that has been a lot of fun for us. I also had my 27th birthday, and I'm happy to say that I think I'm in a much better place than I was last year. We also got a visit from our good friend RK which included a visit to the National Western Stock Show and Rodeo, which is always a good time!!

The sad: APL's grandmother was hospitalized and sadly she passed away last week. We fly back to LA on Thursday. APL and his cousins will be pallbearers at her funeral on Friday. My heart goes out to APL and his family - which, after seven years, is really my family too. And now that we are engaged they are soon to be really my family, so I am so glad we will get to spend some time with them this weekend.

But here's what made me finally sit down to blog - I just did something to really hurt my knee.

I didn't actually do much at all - I got up from my desk to shut the door to my study and then I went to sit back down in my chair. But as I was in the process of sitting my right knee seemed to pop outwards, it stopped supporting my weight, and I fell to the floor. As someone who deals with large amounts of pain on a regular basis, I have to admit that takes a lot to bring me to tears. But whatever happened in my knee had me sobbing instantly. It hurt so much it was all I could do to call for APL, who came running, followed by River, both of them scared from the tone of my voice. I was scared too. I never had that much pain all at once for seemingly no reason.

I guess I'm ok for now, though. My knee hurts a bit less and it is iced and elevated. I'm going to try to stay off it tonight and I already made an appointment to see my doctor tomorrow afternoon. So I guess we've done everything we can for now. All there is to do is wait and see how it is in the morning.

It's funny how in times of physical pain and frustration my first thought these days is to turn to this blog to clear my head. Especially when it seems like everything happens at once, or bad happens on top of bad. I've been writing this blog for a year and a half, and I can't tell you how much it has helped me deal with all the difficulties I have faced in that short amount of time. It also means a lot to me to have the love and support of people who read this blog. So thank you all.

Updates on my knee as soon as I can - I promise.

2 comments:

J said...

POOP ON KNEE PAIN. The good news is you can hide a lot of knee braces underneath black pants(? don't know if that's good news, but I have done it in the past and may even have to do it tomorrow...). My condolences to APL and your family.

Rebecca said...

Thinking of you guys out here in Scranton. I'll definitely sign on to the Poop on Knee Pain petition. We will persevere until we are a milliondy strong!

And, you know, until your knee shapes up.

Love!