Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Dilemma

This morning, for some reason, I was crying before I even managed to get out of bed. I honestly don’t know why. Guess I was feeling pretty tired and overwhelmed even though it was only 7:30am, which sucks. But, with some kisses from River and a promise to buy me a latte from APL, I managed to get out of bed and get myself to class. But, unfortunately, the trouble didn’t end there.

Dilemma #1: My hands are still hurting so note taking was difficult in class this morning. Luckily, my rheumatologist has given me vicodin for just such situations – where I need the pain to stop rightnow so I can get something done. So I took a vicodin. But, I guess since my stomach was pretty empty and I was already exhausted and sort of out of it to begin with, the vicodin made me a tiny bit loopy. So then I couldn’t seem to pay attention to what my professor was saying, which defeated my ability to take notes anyways.

Dilemma #2: My hands are still killing me. They have been hurting pretty badly since the wedding where I helped with the flowers. I felt great that day and helping with the flowers was a lot of fun. It was also really rewarding to see the wedding come together so beautifully with my help. But I guess I learned a lesson: Even if I’m feeling pretty good, I simply cannot spend all day trimming flowers, using scissors, taping, gluing, and tying ribbon. It’s just too much for my hands. I have to find some other way to help instead. You’d think I would have figured that out by now, but I guess not. So I made a mistake.

So, the dilemma becomes, now what? What do I do now to get my hands to stop hurting? Vicodin only helps the pain a little bit, and has side effects. APL and I have tried some “joint rubs” but all they have seemed to do is make my hands smell funny. So I guess what I need now is rest. But how do you rest your hands?

You use your hands for EVERYTHING. There isn’t one thing you do all day where you don’t use your hands. I need my hands for note taking in class. My job consists primarily of emailing people and making lists on my computer. I like to read blogs and look at Facebook for leisure, and even that requires clicking and scrolling. Sometimes I like to play video games to relax, which requires hands. You need your hands to cook, to eat, to open doors, to carry things, to hold open the book you’re reading. You even need your hands to zip up your pants! And, as much as I would perhaps like to, I don’t have time to sit around watching movies with my hands on my lap all day! I have too much work to do! But, on the other hand (ha! wish I had some other hands!) how on earth am I supposed to get my work done with this much pain in my hands?

Dilemma. I'll take suggestions if you've got 'em. Because I am all out of ideas.

7 comments:

A said...

Can you type with your toes? Only half kidding...

~Mariah~ said...

Actually, that's what RK said too. Too bad no one can seem to come up with anything else...

~Mariah~ said...

Also, not to be Debbie Downer, but my toes hurt all the time. ALL THE TIME. So much that it doesn't even seem unusual anymore...

~Mariah~ said...

Sorry. I have the serious ow today and it is making me cranky. ~;o(

A said...

Serious owies do not equal debbie downerness. Maybe we can train River to be a hands-puppy. :)

Rebecca said...

What about Edward Scissorhands hands for you? But, you know, not quite as scary. Just don't get frustrated and try to cut them off. It's worse, trust me.

KCFitch said...

Z - you have got to try Voltaren Gel (http://www.voltarengel.com/) It does not smell like old people!!!

I use it when I accidentally crochet too much ;-)