Monday, April 20, 2009

One Disaster At A Time

Today I had to book an urgent care appointment to deal with a rash that has broken out literally all over my body, and as I was driving there the car almost died.

Ok.

One disaster at a time:

Disaster Number One: My Immune System

On Saturday I was actually feeling pretty good, and I can’t even remember the last time I used the word “good” to describe how I feel! The soreness in my shoulder had faded, I didn’t have a headache, and I actually felt like I had a little bit of extra energy. APL and I decided to go to the gym and I actually did a really good workout. I did half an hour of cardio (elliptical and treadmill) and then I swam for half an hour too!

After the workout, I felt tired and a little sore but really good about myself. But after my shower, as I was getting dressed, I noticed a splattering of little red spots across my stomach. I looked in the mirror and realized there were red spots across my back too. And I’m sure anyone who reads this blog regularly remembers the boob wound incident, so you’ll understand when I say I was devastated to discover that the little red spots had spread out across my chest too.

By Saturday evening the red spots had spread onto my arms and legs as well. And to me the spots looked suspiciously like the rash that had lead to the Boob Wound Saga of 2009 in the first place – only this time there were probably a hundred of them all over my body. What if more than one of them turned into abscesses this time? How many little wounds would I have on my body?

And because I had such a good day, the rash made me feel absolutely miserable. It was the first day in probably a year that I had felt good and worked out hard. I had been in a good mood, my body had been feeling ok, and I had been feeling hopeful. So it was crushing for my immune system to throw the rash at me the same day. I broke down and had a crying fit that evening because I was so frustrated, and poor APL just had to hold me until I stopped. There was nothing he could say to make me feel less frustrated.

Luckily, after I got the crying out of my system, I didn’t let the rash ruin my entire good feeling. Since the rash wasn’t getting any worse on Sunday there was nothing to do but wait to get the first appointment on Monday morning. APL helped me keep my good feeling up by going back to the gym on Sunday. I spent another half an hour on the treadmill and I ran/walked two miles – spots and all. So I am at least proud of myself for that. Also, my good friend RK brought me some gorgeous irises, which helped me cheer up too.

This morning, I woke up early to claim one of the urgent care appointments today to have the doctor take a look at the spots. But on the way there, the Explorer became possessed. It was beeping, locking and unlocking the doors all by itself, and it stalled once. I thought I wasn’t going to make it to the doctor’s office, but at least I did. The doctor is doing a culture on my rash and we should know in a day how bad it is. Luckily, she doesn't seem to think it is the same type of rash that led to the boob infection. So that's good, at least.

Disaster Number Two: The Explorer

I am really grateful to have that the Explorer that my dad gave me – it’s the car that APL and I used for our 48-state adventure! And it is really nice for APL and me to be able to have two cars. But, man, has that car had some bad luck! Last year alone it had a new back windshield, new front windshield, new A/C compressor, new fan belts, and a new transmission!

So, when the car started acting possessed this morning – locking and unlocking the doors all by itself, beeping with no error messages on the dash, stalling when I stopped to get the ticket at the parking garage – I immediately assumed the worst and drove straight to our car repair guy after my doctor’s appointment. I left the car there and kept my fingers crossed that whatever was wrong with it wouldn’t be too expensive.

Luckily, it turned out to be some problem with the back hatch not being shut properly and the wiring connection getting all confused. Or something. (Clearly I know a lot about cars!) In the end the car guy also fixed our back windshield-wiper (which broke off in the last snow) and cleaned some air filter thingy and the car seems to be working fine now.

So, in the end, I guess the day wasn’t too disastrous after all. But I'm exhausted, just the same.

3 comments:

~kelly marie~ said...

Ugh, so sorry about the rash! What a pain in the ass! That is really amazing that you went out to exercise again the next day. You are a super woman!

I am also so glad that you had a good day! I know it didn't end well, but having a mostly good day is such wonderful progress!

Happy thoughts to you and your exorcism-needing car!

KCFitch said...

Once again I am able to join you in your misery... Kaia and I were just rescued from the Target parking lot where my Jeep has apparently died. I'm having a nice little RA flare-up too :-P

So the question is... if we must have this cosmic connection, can you try sending something good my way for a change?

~Mariah~ said...

~;o( I will do my best!